Social Security Administration

Social Security was created in the 1930s to provide Americans with a safety net for retirement, survivors and those afflicted with a disability. The Social Security Administration (SSA) serves the needs of those who have reached retirement age as well as those who have become disabled and can no longer work. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits are based on financial need. Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits are granted through an established determination for eligibility process.

Below are listed some frequently-asked questions (FAQs) regarding Social Security. These links will take you directly to the agency website.

For more information you can visit Social Security Online which maintains a database that provides information for locating a local office as well as setting up an appointment, contacting SSA by mail or calling a toll-free number for assistance. When contacting the Social Security Administration for assistance, they request you have your Social Security number available.

For my office to assist you with any questions you may have regarding your case, you will need to complete a privacy release form giving permission for my staff to make inquiries on your behalf. The Privacy Act of 1974 requires that I have your written authorization before I can obtain any information about you from a federal agency. You can read my office's Privacy Policy here.

While a friend or family member can certainly contact my office on someone else's behalf, the privacy release form must be signed by the individual needing the assistance. On any correspondence sent to me, please include your phone number and contact information so that my staff can be as responsive as possible to your request. 

When completing the form, please include all pertinent information such as:

  • Your full name
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Type of claim and date filed
  • Description of concern/issue
  • Your contact information (phone number, address, e-mail)

My staff can then contact the appropriate agency on your behalf to determine the status of your claim and provide you with any further assistance. Please note that I cannot direct a certain outcome or mandate an expedited process. I can only communicate the circumstances and request that the appropriate actions be taken to assist you.

Please keep in mind that due to the constitutional separation of the legislative and judicial branches of government, an elected official is not allowed to be involved in legal matters. In these matters, you may wish to seek legal counsel. Additionally, I can only assist with federal agencies. If your concern is with a state or local entity, you will need to contact the appropriate jurisdiction for these issues. Additionally, those who are not living within the state of Idaho should contact their own state's delegation members for assistance. Exceptions to this would include military personnel who are away from the state while on active duty or students attending college out of state.

Again, I am more than happy to assist with issues you might have with the federal government and look forward to being your advocate whenever possible.