Skip to content
U.S. National Debt:


A passport is an internationally recognized document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer. A valid U.S. passport is necessary to enter and leave most foreign countries. Only the U.S. State Department has the authority to grant, issue or verify United States passports.

Over the past decade, the number of passports issued has doubled from 6 to 12 million per year, and that number will likely continue to increase. It is a good idea to plan ahead as much as possible when anticipating any travel outside the country. Please scroll down the page for information on applications, renewals, fees and the increased demand.

The State Department has specific advise for travelers who have not applied for passports to date.   It is best to visit their website for standard and expedited passport processing.

Below are listed some frequently-asked questions (FAQs) regarding Passports:

For a list of facilities located in Idaho, please go to the Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page operated by the U.S. State Department, and enter your ZIP code or the state of Idaho. Such facilities are generally located in post offices, county clerk offices, and other easily-accessible sites. You need to take a valid photo ID (such as a driver's license), proof of U.S. citizenship (such as a birth certificate) and two passport-sized photographs of yourself.

For more information you can visit the Department of State's Passport site online or contact the National Passport Information Center 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY).

For my office to assist you with any questions you may have regarding your application, you will need to complete a privacy release form giving permission for my staff to make inquiries on your behalf. The Privacy Act of 1974 requires that I have your written authorization before I can obtain any information about you from a federal agency. You can read my office's Privacy Policy here.

While a friend or family member can certainly contact my office on someone else's behalf, the privacy release form must be signed by the individual needing the assistance. On any correspondence sent to me, please include your phone number and contact information so that my staff can be as responsive as possible to your request. 

When completing the form, please include all pertinent information such as:

  • Your full name
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Passport locator number (if available)
  • Description of concern/issue
  • Your contact information (phone number, address, e-mail)

My staff can then contact the appropriate agency on your behalf to determine the status of your application and provide you with any further assistance. Please note that I cannot direct a certain outcome or mandate an expedited process. I can only communicate the circumstances and request that the appropriate actions be taken to assist you.

Please keep in mind that due to the constitutional separation of the legislative and judicial branches of government, an elected official is not allowed to be involved in legal matters. In these matters, you may wish to seek legal counsel. Additionally, I can only assist with federal agencies. If your concern is with a state or local entity, you will need to contact the appropriate jurisdiction for these issues. Additionally, those who are not living within the state of Idaho should contact their own state's delegation members for assistance. Exceptions to this would include military personnel who are away from the state while on active duty or students attending college out of state.

Again, I am more than happy to assist with issues you might have with the federal government and look forward to being your advocate whenever possible.