Skip to content
U.S. National Debt:

Immigration & U.S. Visas

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) oversees citizenship applications and many immigrations issues. It was created when the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) was integrated into the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The Department of State (DOS) handles visa applications and approvals.

Below are listed some frequently-asked questions (FAQs) regarding United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. These links will take you directly to the agency website:

For more information you can visit  United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) online  or contact the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-385-5283. If it is regarding a current application, you will need to have your A-number, any receipt number issued to you after the USCIS received your application and the last notice you received about your case. This will help the Customer Service Representative to answer questions about case status and processing times.

For my office to assist you with any questions you may have regarding your case, you will need to complete a privacy release form giving permission for my staff to make inquiries on your behalf. The Privacy Act of 1974 requires that I have your written authorization before I can obtain any information about you from a federal agency. All information provided will remain confidential. You can read my office's Privacy Policy here.

While a friend or family member can certainly contact my office on someone else's behalf, the privacy release form must be signed by the United States Citizen needing the assistance. On any correspondence sent to me, please include your phone number and contact information so that my staff can be as responsive as possible to your request. 

When completing the form, please include all pertinent information such as:

  • Your full name
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security Number
  • Case/receipt number
  • Type of application and date filed
  • Description of concern/issue
  • Your contact information (phone number, address, e-mail)

My staff can then contact the appropriate agency on your behalf to determine the status of your claim and provide you with any further assistance. Please note that I cannot direct a certain outcome or mandate an expedited process. I can only communicate the circumstances and request that the appropriate actions be taken to assist you. 

Please use the links below to download the form in either Word or PDF format

Please keep in mind that due to the constitutional separation of the legislative and judicial branches of government, an elected official is not allowed to be involved in legal matters. In these matters, you may wish to seek legal counsel. Additionally, I can only assist with federal agencies. If your concern is with a state or local entity, you will need to contact the appropriate jurisdiction for these issues. Additionally, those who are not living within the state of Idaho should contact their own state's delegation members for assistance. Exceptions to this would include military personnel who are away from the state while on active duty or students attending college out of state.

Again, I am more than happy to assist with issues you might have with the federal government and look forward to being your advocate whenever possible.