Press Release of Senator Crapo
Spirit of Freedom Awards Set For Veterans Day
Crapo honors Idaho veterans' and volunteers' resolve and self-sacrifice
Contact: Susan Wheeler
Washington, DC – Idaho Senator Mike Crapo is honoring fourteen inspirational Idahoans this Veterans Day in ceremonies held in Boise, Lewiston, Pocatello, Sandpoint and Twin Falls. This is the ninth year Crapo has honored Idaho veterans and volunteers who work with veterans through the Spirit of Freedom Awards.
“Veterans provide critical service and support to our State and nation that does not end with the conclusion of their military service,” said Crapo. “They exemplify courage and discipline, and their deeds provide encouragement and strengthen resolve in the face of challenge.”
Spirit of Freedom Awards are presented annually to recipients in two categories – Veterans and Volunteers. Nominations for the awards are made by a number of veterans’ organizations and the commanders of various veterans service organizations. The awardees have demonstrated the spirit, resolve and self-sacrifice integral to our Idaho character.
“I am heartened by the recipients’ benevolence and the steady support they have provided our nation,” Crapo added. “On this Veterans Day, it is a privilege to learn from our veterans and volunteers and pay tribute to their service and sacrifice.”
The following are the 2010 Spirit of Freedom Award recipients:
• Jimmy R. Berkley (Twin Falls): He served in the U.S. Marine Corps in the Vietnam War, and he worked at Amalgamated Sugar Company for thirty-two years.
• Ronald L. Coryell (Boise): He served in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War, and he volunteers at the Boise VA Medical Center.
• Gerald Lee Hendrickson (Pocatello): He served in the U.S. Army for twenty years, including service in the Vietnam War.
• Homer H. Kling (Lewiston): He served in the U.S. Navy Armed Guard in World War II, worked for Potlatch Corporation and sold Shaklee products.
• Martimiano Salinas (Blackfoot): He served in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War, worked as a truck driver and volunteers with veterans.
• Gina Stamper (Boise): She served in the U.S. Coast Guard, and she has worked as a Veterans Service Officer for the Idaho Division of Veterans Service.
• William R. Stevens (Sandpoint): He served in the U.S. Marine Corps for twenty years, including serving in the Vietnam War.
• Cynthia Tatro (Boise): She served in the Women’s Army Corps, and she works as Activity Coordinator at the Idaho State Veterans Home.
• Georgia Bowen (Lewiston): She has more than 2800 volunteer hours at the Idaho State Veterans Home, and she has volunteered extensively with the Elks.
• Mary Ahlin Jones (Boise): She has volunteered for more than ten years at the Idaho State Veterans Home.
• Ron Katko (Boise): He has dedicated substantial time to volunteering through the Boise VA Medical Center and a number of other organizations.
• Gardner “Bud” Keyt (Boise): He served in World War II, and he has devoted nineteen years to serving veterans through volunteer work at the Boise VA Medical Center.
• Garrett “Gary” Randel, Jr. (Eagle): He served in the U.S. Marine Corps for forty-one years, including service in the Vietnam War, and his volunteer service includes serving as Commandant of the Treasure Valley Detachment of the Marine Corps League.
• Ron Tapia (Pocatello): He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Vietnam War, and he worked as a Veterans Representative for the former Idaho Department of Employment.
Due to commitments associated with Crapo’s service on the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, Crapo’s staff will be distributing this year’s awards. The dates and times of Senator Crapo’s 2010 Spirit of Freedom Awards ceremonies are as follows:
• Boise, Idaho Veterans Home, 320 Collins Road: Thursday, November 11th, 11:00 a.m.
• Lewiston, Idaho Veterans Home, 821 21st Avenue: Thursday, November 11th, 10:00 a.m.
• Pocatello, Idaho Veterans Home, 1957 Alvin Ricken Drive: Thursday, November 11th, 2:30 p.m.
• Sandpoint, War Memorial Field, 801 Ontario Street: Thursday, November 11th, 11:00 a.m.
• Twin Falls, City Park, Band Shell, Shoshone Street E.: Thursday, November 11th, 11:00 a.m.
Crapo’s website has a section devoted to the Spirit of Freedom Awards. For more information and to view information regarding past recipients, please visit http://crapo.senate.gov/idaho/sof/sof_home.cfm.