The Eastern Idaho, North Regional office is located in Idaho Falls in the heart of southeast Idaho. It is surrounded by some of the world’s best-known recreation areas including Yellowstone National Park, Henry’s Lake, Craters of the Moon, Island Park, and several national forests.
Idaho Falls was founded in 1864 as Taylor’s Crossing, named after Matt Taylor, a freighter, who built a log toll bridge across the Snake River. The town changed its name to Eagle Rock after a rock island that was the nesting site for numerous eagles in the river seven miles north. In 1891, the town settled on Idaho Falls, named after the rapids that existed below the bridge in what was then called Black Canyon. The Idaho Falls Electric Cooperative built the famous artificial falls now in place.
The community’s economy remained agriculturally focused until the Atomic Energy Commission opened the National Reactor Testing Station in the nearby desert in 1949. Today, Eastern Idaho is home to the Idaho National Laboratory, the lead nuclear research and demonstration laboratory for the U.S. Department of Energy.
The Eastern Idaho, North Regional Office covers the following counties: Bonneville, Butte, Clark, Custer, Fremont, Jefferson, Lemhi, Madison and Teton.
It covers the following cities: Ammon, Arco, Ashton, Challis, Chester, Driggs, Hamer, Idaho Falls, Irwin, Island Park, Lewisville, Mackey, May, Menan, Newdale, North Fork, Rexburg, Rigby, Ririe, Roberts, Salmon, St. Anthony, Swan Valley, Tetonia and Victor.